TERRY COOKE HALL
Bio & Artist’s Statement
Trips throughout Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, and California in the family station wagon were a big part of Terry’s childhood, forming strong memories of the Southwest in the 50s and 60s. During the mid-seventies, a passion for art led Terry to numerous classes, workshops, and university extension courses in figure drawing, graphic design and illustration, including studies of the works of the Golden Age Illustrators, a heavy influence on her current style. In 1978, Terry put her training into use by illustrating for land development firms in Southern California. After 15 years of the left-brain world of architects and engineers, Terry left her job and co-founded a commercial art business in murals and faux-finishing for contractors, developers, and private residences in Rancho Santa Fe, La Jolla, and Rancho Bernardo in San Diego County.
Since 2006, Terry has focused exclusively on the development of a fine art career that has strong roots in California and Russian Impressionism. She has studied under several nationally-known artists, most notably Robert Moore and Michael Steirnagle, both of whom taught the foundational principles of fine art, along with the light and color of Impressionism.
“My style is crossover, bridging the gap between the traditional and contemporary west while applying the foundational principles of design, value, and color. My subjects have roots grounded in the timeless traditions of the west, yet my approach blends in bold color, patterns, and textural elements to give them a contemporary twist. My tagline, “Modern Visions of a Timeless West”, sums up my style as a look at the west viewed through the lens of 30 years of work in design and illustration.”
After moving to Bozeman, Montana, in 2008, she and her daughter, artist Whitney Hall, founded Cobalt Moose Art Studios where Terry is a full-time painter.
She is currently represented by Mountain Trails in Jackson Hole, WY, and Park City, UT, Lovetts Gallery in Tulsa, OK, and Dick Idol Signature Gallery in Whitefish, MT.
Current Events and Recent Shows & Awards
- Buffalo Bill Art Show & Sale 2015, Buffalo Bill Center of the West, Cody WY, September 2015
- Traveling the West: Trains, Planes, Automobiles, Wagon Wheels, & Horses, Southwest Gallery, Dallas TX, November 2015
- Cowgirl Up! Art from the Other Half of the West Invitational Exhibition and Sale, Desert Caballeros Museum, Wickenburg AZ, March 2015
- The Russell: An Exhibition and Sale to Benefit the CM Russell Museum, Great Falls, Montana, March 2015
- 45th Annual Mountain Oyster Club Contemporary Western Art Show & Sale, Tucson AZ, November 2014
- 2014 Small Works, Great Wonders Winter Art Sale, National Cowboy & Western Heritage Museum, Oklahoma City OK, November 2014
- 7th Annual Miniatures by the Lake 2014, Coeur D’Alene Galleries, Coeur D’Alene ID, Sept 5 through Sept 20 2014
- 3rd Annual Icons of the West National Juried Exhibition, Dana Gallery, Missoula, MT, May-June 2014
- The Russell: An Exhibition and Sale to Benefit the CM Russell Museum, Great Falls, Montana, March 2014
- Voted “Artists' Choice Award”, Cowgirl Up! Art from the Other Half of the West Invitational Exhibition and Sale, Desert Caballeros Museum, Wickenburg AZ, March 2014
- Phippen Museum 39th Annual Western Art Show and Sale, Prescott, Arizona, May 2013
- YAM 45th Annual Art Auction, Yellowstone Art Museum, March 2013
- Western Masters Art Show & Sale, Great Falls Montana, March 2013
- Exhibitor, Room 286
- "Off the Wall" Art Auction Juried Artist
- Awarded “Best Contemporary Western”, Icons of the West National Juried Exhibition, Dana Gallery, Missoula, Montana, June-August 2012
- Western Masters Art Show & Sale, Great Falls Montana, March 2012
- Exhibitor, Room 286 o "Off the Wall" Art Auction Juried Artist